CV: Vibha Tripathi
Name: Vibha Tripathi
Date of Birth: 5 February 1948
Department of AIHC & Archeology,
Banaras Hindu university, Varanasi - 221 005
Graduate (1965) and Post Graduate (1967, 1st Div.) Degree with a rank in AIHC
and Archeology with specialization in Archeology were awarded by the University
Ph.D, 1973 "The Painted Grey Ware - A Protohistoric Culture" B.H.U.
Post Doctoral Fellow Of Indian Council of Historical Research on the subject
"A Study and Classification of Iron Objects from the Earliest Period to
the 2nd Century A.D." in B.H.U.
- Worked under National Associateship Scheme (for five years) of the U.G.C.
on a Multidisciplinary Project on Iron Age, Entitled "Aspects of Archeological
And Technological Background of Early Iron Age in North India - A Multidisciplinary
- Presently an Associate of Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Rashtrapati
Memberships of Societies, Scholarships, Prizes, Etc.:
- Member of Executive Committe of Indian Society for Prehistoric and Quarternary
Studies - 1993-95.
- Membership offered of 'Comite Pour La Siderugue Ancienne' UISSP Secreteriate
at Inst. of Archeology, Prague (An International Organisation for Study of
- Life Member of Indian Society for Prehistoric and Quarternary Studies.
- Life Member of Indian Archeological Society.
SUMMARY: Books four & one in press, Research Papers 57, General
Articles four, Patents nil, Others (book reviews) four.
- Painted Grey Ware An Iron Age Culture of Northern India, Concept
Publication Co., N.Delhi, 1976.
- The Indus Terracottas (Co-authored with Dr. A.K.Shrivastva), Sharda
Publication House, N.Delhi, 1994.
- Archaeometallururgy in India, Sharda Publication House, N.Delhi,
- The Age of Iron in South Asia : Legacy and Tradition - Aryan International,
New Delhi 2001.
- Studies in Archaeometallurgy in South Asia (in press).
- "Pre-Harappan Painted Pottery Culture - A Study in Scocio- Economic
Factors Potteries in Ancient India, Ed. B.P.Sinha, Patna, 1968.
- "Introduction of Iron in India - A Chronological Perspective"
- Radiocarbon and Indian Archeology ed. D.P. Agarwal & A. Ghosh, Bombay,
- "Black And Red Ware", Encyclopedia of Indian Archaeology, Ed.
A. Ghose, 1988.
- "Black And Slipped Ware", Encyclopedia of Indian Archaeology,
Ed. A. Ghose, 1988.
- "Painted Grey Ware", Encyclopedia of Indian Archaeology, Ed. A.
- "Antiquity of Iron in Madhya Pradesh", Indian Archeology-New Perspectives
ed. R.K.Sharma, Agam Kala Prakashan, Delhi, 1982.
- "Uttar Pradesh Ke Mridbhand", Jour. of Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow,
- "A Note On Stages of Painted Grey Ware Culture" (a rejoinder),
Man & Environment, Vol. 7, 1983-84.
- "From Copper to Iron- A Transition", Puratattva, No. 15, bull.
of Archeo. Soc. Ind., Delhi, 1985.
- "Technological Growth vis-a vis Economic Development in First Millennium
B.C.", Jour. of Bhartiya Itihasa Samkalan Samiti Patrika, Varanasi, No.
4, 31-35, 1985.
- "Iron Technology In Ancient India", Metals and Materials, Sept.
- "Development of Iron Technology vis-a-vis Economic growth in India
in the first millenium B.C.", International Congress For Asian And North
African Studies, Hamburg, 1986.
- "Origin & Development of Iron in India - Its Economic Implications",
World Archeological Congress, Southampton, U.K. 1-7, Sept. 1986.
- "Early Historic Archeology and Radio Carbon Dating", Indian Historical
Review, New Delhi, Vol. XIV, No. 1-2., 1990.
- "Impact of metal Technology on Economic Development" Historical
Archeology of India ed. Amita Ray & Samir Mukherjee, New Delhi, 1990.
- "A macrolevels study of Painted Grey Ware Culture", Pragdhara,
Jour. of the U.P. State Archeological Organisation, No. 1, 1990-91.
- "Iron Age in U.P.- Technical Innovation and Social Adaptation",
Pragdhara, Jour. U.P. State Archaeological Organisation, No. 3, 1993
- "Mineral Resources: A Possible Archaeomatellurgical Correlation"
Archaeometallurgy in India, Proc. National Seminar on Indian Archaeo- metalllurgy,
Vibha Tripathi (ed.), New Delhi, 191-205, 1998.
- "Iron In Early Budhist texts", Archaeometallurgy in India, Proc.
National Seminar on Indian Archaeometallurgy held at B.H.U. Vibha Tripathi
(ed.), New Delhi, 1998.
- "From Janapadas to Maha Janapadas - A Study of Material Culture in
the Gangentic Basin", Pragdhara, Jour. of U.P. State Arch. Org. Lucknow,
- "Factors of Change in early Historical Economy", paper presented
at National Seminar on Early Historical Economy of India: An Archeological
and Literary Perspective, held at B.H.U. in the Deptt. of A.I.H.C. & Archeology,
1-3, March 1993.
- "Traditional Iron Technology In India", Paper presented in workshop
on Traditional Technologies, Rajghat, Varanasi, 1993.
- "Ceramic Art Tradition", Proc. Ist Cong. on Traditional Technologies,
- "Iron Working In Ancient India - An Ethnoarchaeological Study".
From Sumer to Meluhha, Wisconsin, Archaeological report, J.M. Kenoyer (ed.)
Vol.3, p.241-51, 1994.
- "Aspect of Pyrotechnology During 1st mill.B.C.", paper presented
in WAC-III, New Delhi, 1994.
- "An Ethno-Archaeological Evidence of Copper Metallurgy In Singhbhum
Region", WAC III, New Delhi, 1994.
- 'Pr_achin Bharat Mein Lauh Yug (Hindi) Vishvadrishti' SampurnaNand, Fel.
Vol.V. Venkatachalam (ed), Varanasi 777-88, 1994.
- "Iron Working In Ancient India with Special Reference to Excavation
at Khairadih, Puratattva, vol.24, 1995.
- "Understanding Technology: The Ethnological Model, Joint Session Of
IAS & ISPQUS, Gorakhpur, Nov. 1995.
- "Ethnological Observation On Growth Of Iron Technology, Paper presented
in 2nd Cong. on Sciences and technologies of India, Madras, 1995.
- "Ancient Gold Mining activity In Sonbhadra Distt. of UP & Adjoining
Sidhi Distt. of MP", Paper presented in 2nd Cong. on Sciences and technologies
of India, Madras, 1995.
- "Depiction of Metal Objects in Stupa Art", Bharati, Vol. 22, 1995-96,
- "Functional Evaluation of Sunga-Kusana Pottery", Bharti, Varanasi,
Vol.23, p.1-11, 1996-97.
- "Understanding Iron Technology: An ethnographic Model", Man and
Environment, vol. XXII(I), 1997, pp. 59-66, Pune.
- 'Stages of Painted Grey Ware Culture' Indian Prehistory 1980, VD
Mishra & J.N. Pal (eds.), p.318-322, Allahabad, 1997.
- "Dispersal of Iron Technology Through Iranian Borders : An Evaluation",
paper presented at ICAPS, Varanasi, 1998.
- "Radiocarbon : An Archaeologists Dilemma", 3rd International Symposium
on C14 & Archaeology Lyon, France 6-10 April 1998.
- "Advent of Iron in India - A Reappraisal", paper presented in
Annual Conference of IAS, ISPQS and IHCS held in New Delhi, Nov. 1996.
- "Development of Pyrotechnology in Gangetic Plains - A Case Study",
paper presented in Annual Conference of IAS, ISPQS and IHCS held at Srinagar,
- "Ecological Constraints in Development Process of Traditional Iron
Metallurgy", paper presented in Conference on Ecological History and
Traditions, organized by Centre of Science and Environment, New Delhi, March
- "Indigenous Iron Technology - Survival and Revival", paper presented
in Workshop on Traditional Iron and Steel Making Technologies Revitalisation
and Safety Net, Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, Bhopal, Feb. 1998.
- "The Age of Iron in India - A Reappraisal", to be published by
ICHR in Indian Archaeology in Retrospect, (S. Settar).
- "Early Iron Technology and Its Socio-economic Impact", History
of Indian Science Philosophy & Culture ed. Prof. G.C.Pande, Allahabad,
- "Growth of Agriculture in the Gangetic Plains during 1st Mill. B.C.",
A chapter being published by Prof. V.C. Srivastava in History of Agriculture
in India, Vol. V, Project of History of Indian Science, Philosophy and Culture.
- "Growth of Cultures in The Gangetic Plains", a chapter to be published
in Indian Archaeology since independence (a special volume of Indian Historical
Review, ICHR by Prof. V.N. Mishra).
- "Early Indian Iron Technology, Himalayan Contacts, and Gagetic Urbanization",
(as co-author with D.P. Agrawal) paper presented in the Fourth International
Conference of Beginning of Use of Metals and Alloys (BUMA IV), The Japan Institute
of Metals, Matsue, Shimane, Japan, May 1998.
- "Origin and Dispersal of Iron in India", paper presented in the
National; Seminar on 50 Years of Indian Archaeology Retrospect and Prospects,
Deptt. Of AHC & Arch., University of Allahabad, Nov. 1998.
- "Emergence of Iron in India : Archaeological Perspective" Metallurgy
in India : A Retrospective. P. Ramchandra Rao; N.G. Goswami N.M.L. Golden
Jubilee Comm. Volume, Delhi 2001.
- 'Iron Technology in India : Survival of An Ancient Tradition' Conference
on Iron & Steel Production in India and Sweden, History, Technology &
Development, Dept. of History, Kumaun University, Nainital, Mar. 2000.
- 'Triveni at Prayag : Force of a Tradition' International Workshop on
Sruti Transmission or Oral Tradition Jt. Organised by Indira Gandhi Centre
for the Arts and South Asian Institute - University of Heidelberg - 19-23
Nov. 2000, Delhi.
- 'Some issues of Harappan Identification - A Fresh Look' Paper presented
in the Joint Session of Indian Arch. Soc., ISPQS & IHCS, 1-3 Dec. 2000,
- 'From Hills to Plains : The Drainage Pattern and Growth of Culture in Ganga
Plains' 2nd ALDP Workshop on Monsoon and Civilisation organised by
International Res. Center for Japanese Studies, Kyoto, Japan, 15-19 Jan. 2001
- 'Exploration along the Palaeochannel of River Varuna' Pragdhara,
Rakesh Tiwari (ed.) Jl. of U.P. Puratattva Samgathan, Lucknow. No. 11, pp.
- 'Geographical Factors : Reflections in the Metal Craft and Art of Gandhara
Region' International Seminar on Gandhara Art, Varanasi-2001.
- 'Early Indian Agrarian Society & Technology Adaptation' Seminar on History
of Agriculture in India organised by History of Indian Science, Philosophy
and Culture New Delhi 26-28 Dec. 2001.