Name: (Dr.) Rima Hooja
Date of Birth: November 12, 1956 Nationality Indian
11, Uniara Garden, Jaipur 302004 [India]
Phone: (+91) -0141-622005
Archaeologist & Writer; also Senior Fellow, Institute of Rajasthan Studies, Jaipur.
Have previously served as Associate Professor [Reader], Department of History, Kota Open University, Kota;
& Visiting Fellow, Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur.
1972 ISC [Indian School Cert.] MGD School, Jaipur Ist Div.
1976 B.A. [Hons] in History Kanoria College, 1st Div.
1977 Post-graduate Certificate in Prehistoric Archaeology [Now re-struc. as M.Phil], Wolfson College,
Cambridge Univ. [Note: no divs. awarded for this]
1979 M.A. in History University of 1st Div., Rajasthan, Jaipur
1979 Certificate Elementaire, Alliance Francais (New Delhi)
1986 Ph.D in Archaeology [Commonwealth Scholarship], University of Cambridge, UK
Title of Ph.D. Thesis: Distribution and Relationship of Early Agricultural and Mesolithic Sites in South-Eastern Rajasthan during the Third to Second Millenniums B.C. and Their Comparison with Modern Settlement Patterns.
From October 1979 to October 1981 - Lecturer in History, Kanoria College, Jaipur.
While a Ph.D student at Cambridge University [1981-86], undertook tutorials/supervisions on Indian Archaeology for University undergraduates in 1986; and on Indian Anthropology, Indian History and Indian Religions, for American Students [from the University of Virginia (USA)] studying at Cambridge on the 'Cambridge Study Programme' [St. Olaf College and Mecalester College MN; and the Universities of Virginia and the South Cambridge Study Programmes] in 1984, 1985 & 1986.
Consultant [Archaeology], Kota Open University, February-April 1988. Devised and drew up the archaeology portion of the syllabus.
Assisted in processing faunal remains for the British Academy Circular Harbour, North side Report, Carthage-Tunisia Committee during Sept-Oct 1986 [at Cambridge].
Since Jan.1987, Associate Editor of the Indian Book Chronicle [est. 1975].
During 1987-1989 assisted INTACH [Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage] with a project on Amber as their Archaeology & History Consultant. Contributed to several project reports edited by P. Zaveri and N. Patel, including "Approach Paper for Amber" and "Restoration of Havelis at Amber".
From January 1990 to September 1996, worked as Associate Professor, IndianTradition & Culture, Department of History, Kota Open University, Kota. Held the additional charges of (i) Deputy Director [Academics] from Feb. to Sept. 1991; (ii) Acting Head of Department of History, Feb-April 1992; & (iii) Director, Regional Centre, Jaipur, from April to July 1992.
Visiting Fellow, Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur, from Nov. 1993 to Oct. 1994, & from April 1995 to March 1996. Associated with IDS Women's Studies, and Education groups; collaborated in various reports and papers.
1. Positions held include:
i] Member of the Board of Governors, MGD School, Jaipur, 1997-2000.
ii] Member of the Academic Council, Kota Open University [1993-95].
iii] Member of Governing Board of Kanoria College, Jaipur, 1977-81.
iv] Member of the Executive of the Rock Art Society of India.
v] Member, Executive Board , Jaipur Committee of the Experiment in International Living, 1974-1976.
vi] President, Kanoria College Student Union 1974-75; & Vice-President, 1974-75.
vii] At Kanoria College, was Secretary, Dramatics Society 1975-76; Joint Secretary, Dramatics Soc. 1974-75; Secretary, Inter-Disciplinary Association 1975-76; Joint Secty. Inter-Disciplinary Assoc. 1974-75; & Asst. Secty. 'Navamalika', 1973-74.
viii] Member [co-opted], Wolfson College Amal Club 1982-83 & 1983-84; Co-organizer, Wolfson College Environmental Society 1983-86; Founder-Member WAS [Wolfson Astronomy Society], 1984.
x] Member, Wolfson College Boat Club, 1976-77; 1981-86. Rowed in the College Ladies Ist Boat ['eight' & 'fours'] in 1976-77, 1981-83.
xi] Founder-Member, 'International Forum for Women in Archaeology' [est.1986].
xii] Member, Governing Board of the Institute of Rajasthan Studies, Jaipur, 2001-
xiii] Fellow, Royal Asiatic Society (UK), 2001-
xiv] Governing Board , Sandhan (Rajasthan), 2002-
2. At Kota University, have held additional charges as Deputy Director [Academic] Feb-Sept 1991; Guest House Incharge June 1990-Sept 1991; Regional Director, Jaipur Centre, April-July 1992; & Acting Head of Department of History, Feb-April 1992.
3. Was on the Editorial Board of ARC [Archaeological Review from Cambridge], Department of Archaeology, Cambridge University, 1983-84.
4. From 1979 onwards, have given occasional lectures at HCM RIPA (Jaipur), Univ. of Rajasthan's Academic Staff College Refresher courses, Kanoria College, Govt. of Rajasthan Dept. of Tourism's 1st Tourism Police orientation course 2000, School of International Training courses, and various other short-term courses, or lecture-series.
5. On JKK (Govt. of Rajasthan) Documentations Committee; Lok Jumbish Sub-Committee; linked with various initiatives on Jaipur's heritage.
Prizes, Awards, Professional Societies:
1. Commonwealth Scholarship to the UK 1981-84.
2. NG Mehtani Memorial Prize (Gold Medal] of Kanoria College, Jaipur for securing the highest marks in B.A. Honours 1976.
3. Best All Rounder Prize 1976 form Kanoria College, Jaipur.
4. The 'Old Girls Shield' 1969 ; & the 'Sir Paul and Lady Gore-Booth Shield' 1972, from the Maharani Gayatri Devi [MGD] Girls' Public School, Jaipur.
5. Udaya Kumari Merit Scholarship 1973-74 from Kanoria College, Jaipur.
1. 1988. The Ahar Culture and Beyond: Settlements and Frontiers of 'Mesolithic' and Early Agricultural Sites in South-eastern Rajasthan c. 3rd-2nd Millennia B.C. BAR International Series 412, Oxford (ISBN 086054 530x).
2. 1992. Environment Degradation: Strategies for Control. (co-editor L.K. Dadhich), Aalekh Publishers, Jaipur.
3. 1997. Prince, Patriot, Parliamentarian: Biography of Dr. Karni Singh - Maharaja of Bikaner. HarperCollins Publishers India, New Delhi.
4. 1999. Crusader for Self-Rule: Tej Bahadur Sapru & the Indian National Movement Life and Selected Letters. Rawat Publications, Jaipur).
5. 1999. Mandan's "Devata-Murti-Prakarnam". Prakrit Bharati, Jaipur.
6. (Forthcoming) History of Rajasthan, HarperCollins, New Delhi.
1. 1980. 'Evolution of Farming in Proto and Pre-historic India', Shodhak, vol.9, Pt.B & C, No.26 & 27, 1980, pp.139-149.
2. 1980. 'Change and Progress: An Archaeological Perspective', In Proceedings of Seminar on Change and Progress, Kanoria College, Jaipur, April 10, 1980. (Rep. Subhashini, pp.46-52).
3. 1982. Review of Shireen Ratnagar's "Encounters: The Westerly Trade of the Harappan Civilization", Indian Book Chronicle vol. VII, no.12, June 1982, pp.211-213.
4. 1982. Review of D.P. Agrawal's "The Archaeology of India", Indian Book Chronicle vol. VII, no.21, November 1982, pp.345-347.
5. 1984. 'Prehistoric Hunter-Gatherers: Fore-runners of the 'Tribal' Tradition?', Shodhak, vol.13, Pt.B, No.38, pp.77-86.
6. 1985. Review of B. Allchin (ed.) "South Asian Archaeology - 1981", Archaeological Review from Cambridge vol. 4:1, Spring 1985, pp.119-122.
7. 1985. Review of Bridget Allchin (ed.) "South Asian Archaeology - 1981", Indian Book Chronicle vol. X, no.8, April 1985, pp.153-156.
8. 1988. 'Sawai Jai Singh II of Amber/Jaipur: A Man for Most Seasons', Indian Book Chronicle vol. XIII, Nos. 11&12, November-December 1988 (Special Issue on Sawai Jai Singh), pp.257-259.
9. 1988. 'An Outline of Indian History: From the Indus Valley Civilisation to 1947', Kota Open University, Kota. (Paper commissioned by Univ for Diploma in Tourism and Hotel Management Course).
10. 1988. 'The Various Religions of India', Kota Open University, Kota.
11. 1988. 'Festivals and Fairs of India - 1', Kota Open University, Kota.
12. 1988. 'Festivals and Fairs of India - 2', Kota Open University, Kota.
13. 1988. 'The Literary Heritage of India', Kota Open University, Kota.
14. 1988. Review of D.K. Taknet's "Industrial Entrepreneurship of Shekhawati Marwaris", Shodhak Vol. 17, Pt.B, No.50, pp.125-128.
15. 1989. 'Antiquity of Panchayats - Some Historical Perspectives', Shodhak Vol. 18, Pt.B & C, No.53 & 54, pp.108-119.
16. 1991. 'Mandan's Devata-Murti-Prakarnam', Shodhak Vol.20, B, No.59, pp.61-74.
17. 1991. 'Bagor and the Mesolithic Sites of Mewar', Shodhak Vol.20, No.60, pp.143-156.
18. 1991. Review of V. Rami Reddy's "Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Cultures", Indian Book Chronicle vol.XVI, no.6, June 1991, pp.12-14.
19. 1992. 'Religion in Roman Britain', Shodhak Vol.21, Pt.A, No.61, pp.78-83.
20. 1992. 'Suryamal Mishran - The Bard from Bundi', Indian Book Chronicle Vol. 18, No.4, April 1992, pp.93-119.
21. 1992. 'Cultural Interaction in Pre- and Protohistoric Rajasthan', Shodhak Vol.21, Pt.B, No.62, pp.93-119.
22. 1993. 'Trail-blazers and Government Policies: The Development of Indian Archaeology', Shodhak Vol.22, Pt.A, No.64, pp.3-13.
23. 1993. 'The Iconographical Representation of the Ashta-Matrikas in Mandan's "Devata-Murti-Prakarnam"', Shodhak Vol.22, No.65, pp.57-63.
24. 1993. 'Surya in Mandan's "Devata-Murti-Prakarnam"', Shodhak Vol.22, Pt.C, No.66, pp.105-112.
25. 1994. 'Contacts, Conflicts and Coexistence: Bhils and Non-Bhils in Southeastern Rajasthan'. In B. Allchin (Ed.) Living Traditions: Studies in the Ethnoarchaeology of South Asia, Oxford & IBH, New Delhi, pp.125-142.
26. 1994. 'The Role of Open Universities and Distance Education Methods in Teaching Marine Archaeology'. In S.R. Rao (Ed.) The Role of Universities and Research Institutes in Marine Archaeology, National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, pp.17-20.
27. 1994. 'Ganeshwar and the 'Frontier Theory': A Possible Framework for Understanding Ganeshwar-Harappan Interaction', Shodhak Vol.23, Pt.C, No.69, pp.127-136.
28. 1994. A Selected Bibliography on Women and Violence (Part I). (Co-compiler Varsha Joshi), Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur.
29. 1994. Report on the Consultation on 'The Status of the Girl Child, (co-authored with S.Rajan and K.Mathur), IDS, Jaipur.
30. 1994. (Ed.) Annual Report 1993-94, Inst. of Development Studies, Jaipur.
31. 1995. 'Temples and Iconography according to Mandan's Devata-Murti-Prakarnam'. In N.K. Singhi and R. Joshi (Eds.) Folk, Faith and Feudalism, Rawat Publications, Jaipur.
32. 1995. 'Madhya-yugin pratima vigyan tatha Mandan ka Devata-Murti-Prakarnam', Khyat, No.2, July 1995, pp.11-20.
33. 1995. 'Politics of Familial Control on Women's Sexuality: A View from Rajasthan' (co-authored with K.Mathur and P.Pal). Proc. of 7th National Conference of Indian Association of Women's Studies, December 1995.
34. 1996. 'Expressing Ethnicity and Identity: Frontiers and Boundaries in Prehistory', Indian Journal of Social Work, LVII, No.1, January 1996, pp.91-114.
35. 1996. 'Fairs and Festivals', (Unit 8, Block 2, of the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) course on "Indian Culture:Perspective for Tourism").
36. 1996. History of Girls' Education in Rajasthan: An Overview (1850-1947. (Draft Research Report), Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur.
37. 1996. WDP and Issues of Women and Violence (with K.Mathur, V.Joshi, S.Rajan, P.Pal et al), (draft) Research Report, IDS, Jaipur.
38. 1996. 'Medieval Iconography and Mandana's Devata-Murti-Prakarnam'. In S.C. Dube (Ed.) Religious Movements in Rajasthan: Ideas and Antiquities, Centre for Rajasthan Studies, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, pp.53-63.
39. 1997. 'Aspects of the Early Copper Age in Rajasthan', (co-author Vijai Kumar). In B. Allchin & F.R. Allchin (Eds.) South Asian Archaeology 1995, Oxford & IBH, New Delhi, pp.323-339.
40. 1997. 'Kalibanga: An Ancient Harappan City in Northern Rajasthan', Rajasthan Atithi, vol.VII No.4, July-August 1997, pp.32-34.
41. 1999. 'Vrats and Vrat-Kathas: Ritual, Women and Patriarchy', (co-author Varsha Joshi). In N.K. Singhi and R. Joshi (Eds.) Religion, Ritual and Royalty, Rawat Publications, Jaipur, pp.197-213.
42. 1999. 'Text, Tradition and Transformation: Mandan's Devata-Murti-Prakarnam'. In T.A. Insoll (Ed.) Case Studies in Archaeology and World Religions. The Proceedings of the Cambridge Conference, BAR Int. Series 755, Archaeopress, Oxford, pp.71-83.
43. 2000. Several short pieces related to history in the Encyclopedia Britannica's Students Britannica (South Asia)
44. 2000. 'The Ahar Culture: A Brief Introduction', In SERINDIAN: Indian Archaeology and Heritage Online (Electronic Journal for Archaeology and Indology) Issue 1, July 2000. Web-site:- http://www.serindian.com.
45. 2001. 'Of Buildings and Books: The Theory and Practice of the architect Mandan', in Giles Tillotson (Ed.) 'Stones in the Sand: The Architecture of Rajasthan', pp. 12-27, Marg, Bombay.
46. 2001. 'The Ahar Culture: A Picture Emerges', Shodhak Vol.30, Pt.C, No.90, Sept-Dec. 2001, pp.220-224.
47. 2001. Translation of Rajasthani manuscript ' Toyefuttul-Ahbaab' from Rajasthani into English, for the Encyclopedia of Sikhism Project of Punjabi University, Patiala.
48 (Forthcoming). 'A Co-mingling of Communities and Cultures', (co-author Lakshmi Kumari Chundawat). In N.K. Singhi & R.Joshi (Eds.) The Composite Culture of Rajasthan, Rawat Publications, Jaipur.
49 (Forthcoming). 'Texts and Tradition: Ritual as reflected in Mandan's Devata-Murti-Prakarnam'. In N.K. Singhi and R.Joshi (Eds.) Proc. of seminar on "Fairs, Festivals, Rituals: Tradition and Transformation in Rajasthan", Institute of Rajasthan Studies, Jaipur.
50. (Forthcoming). 'Ritual Practices in Ancient Rajasthan as revealed by Recent Archaeological Discoveries', (co-author Vijai Kumar). In N.K. Singhi and R. Joshi (Eds.) Proc. of seminar on "Fairs, Festivals, Rituals...", Institute of Rajasthan Studies, Jaipur.
51. (Forthcoming). 'Bhils and Non-Bhils in South-Eastern Rajasthan: Inter-Community Relations in a Socio-Historical Perspective'. In G.S.L. Devra (Ed.) proceedings of seminar on "Tribe, Clan and Caste in the History of Rajasthan - A Historical and Sociological Study" held in January 1996 at the Jagdish Singh Gehlot Research Institute, Jodhpur.
52. (Forthcoming). 'The Archaeology of Rajasthan'. In S.R. Rao et al (Eds.) K.D. Bannerjee Comm. Volume, National Institute of Oceanography, Goa.
53 (Forthcoming). 'Cultural Interactions in the Chalcolithic of Rajasthan: Some Theoretical Aspects', (co-author Vijai Kumar).
54. (Forthcoming). 'The Mesolithic Sites of Districts Bhilwara, Chittorgarh and Udaipur (Rajasthan)', The Researcher, Department of Archaeology and Museums, Jaipur.
Series of commissioned articles in 'Hindustan Times' and 'The Times of India'.
'Galloping Modernisation Outpaces the Past', HT Jaipur Live, Saturday, November 18, 2000, p.1, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'Bikaner, Udine in Italy to be twin cities', Rajasthan Plus, December 8, 2000, p.1 & 3, 'The Times of India'.
'Gone are the Days of the Good Old Buggies - Gudha House', HT Jaipur Live, Sunday, December 17, 2000, p.6, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
- 'The Old Curiosity House - Rajasthan School of Arts', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, January 30, 2001, p. 4, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
- 'A Queen's Tribute Ma-ji Saheb ka Mandir', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, February 13, 2001, p. 4, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'A Mirror to the Times Nawab Saheb ki Haveli I', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, March 14, 2001, p. 4, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'Evacuated by History Nawab Saheb ki Haveli II', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, March 20, 2001, p. 4, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'Markers of Distance, Now Marking Time Kos Minars', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, July 24, 2001, p.6, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'One More on Kos Minars', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, August 7, 2001, p.6, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'Jaipur's Renaissance Man was in Tune with the Times Jantar Mantar', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, August 21, 2001, p. 6, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'Sentinels from the Past', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, September 18, 2001, p.6, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition.
'Mists of Apathy Clouding Ashok's Legacy: Viratnagar', HT Jaipur Live, Tuesday, December 11, 2001, p.6, 'Hindustan Times', Jaipur Edition